Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wall Art


For years, I have unintentionally been collecting black and white photos, etc. I have found these in many different forms. Every Christmas, for instance, I'd get a new black and white calendar of some sorts..sometimes Ansel Adams photography, sometimes b/w architecture, but either way when the year was over they were just too pretty to throw out!


I began tearing out calendar pages and also keeping b/w photos I've taken myself and knew one day I'd have a project for them. When Matt and I bought our first home almost 2 years ago (wow!) we had many new blank walls to fill. Since we both love black and white pictures, I knew I now needed to decorate with the ones I had.


I bought these inexpensive, maybe $8 each, frames w/ glass from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a thin black border and no matte. They were just the right size for my b/w calendar photos. I also wanted to mix it up a bit and started to find some white frames to go with the black and you get the idea. So, I ended up with quite a few, all different, but with a common theme, photos. They were all framed and all b/w pictures.


I have a huge dining room wall that needed to be filled and wanted to use this collection there. It was so overwhelming to look at such a vast space and try and figure what to put there that won't look miniature! I knew it would make a bold statement in a series. I started to flip through magazines, which is an amazing way to figure out things you like. Just tear out the pages of things that strike you and then create a way to re-create what you see in the designer ads. I cannot take full credit for the arrangement, as my friend Laura helped me with the layout.


It is now up and I adore it. It is very striking and most everyone will at least comment on the series or a particular picture. There is a photo here of the wall and hope it will inspire you to tackle those large walls you have and have no idea what to do with. Enjoy!

No comments: